QuickBooks error 15106 appears with the following text that says “Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened” or “Error 15106: The update program is damaged.” Due to this issue, the user finds lots of problems while carrying out the updating procedure of QuickBooks desktop and payroll software. Well, if you are among the ones facing this issue then make sure to jump directly into this post and learn the troubleshooting of the error.
QuickBooks Error 15106 : Meaning and Description
The error belongs to the update series that can halt the ongoing procedure. Users have to correct the configuration of firewall and antivirus as the main factor responsible could be them. Also, provide the proper login credentials. Well, there is a lot more that you need to understand about this issue. So, let’s get into the rest.
Factors Leading QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106
Lots of factors can work behind to make this error appear on the system. Such as:
- Windows UAC settings are misconfigured.
- Fail while installing other essential components.
- Installing Webroot antivirus software on the device.
- The firewall brings restrictions to the updating procedure.
- Not using the windows admin rights to log in to the system.
All of these factors can bring this irritable QuickBooks Error 15106 into the system. So, make sure to root out them with the troubleshooting provided below.
Troubleshooting Techniques to Resolve QuickBooks Error 15106
Get into the steps below to know the procedure of resolving this payroll update error.
Solution 1: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- To initiate, you have to access the Run window.
- Once done, enter appwiz.cpl there.
- Thereafter, click Enter.
- Head towards the tab named Uninstall or Change a Program.
- From there, check out the installed programs.
- Now, just find out QuickBooks and perform a double-click o the same.
- Navigate towards the tab named Change/remove.
- Make sure that you choose Next.
- Choose the Repair button now.
- Again, click on Next.
- To initiate the repairing procedure, the user now needs to move towards the Repair button.
- If the window displays with another error named “File in Use” then just hit the Ignore tab.
- You can continue the Repairing procedure now.
- After completing this entire procedure, start the system.
- Thereafter, access your QuickBooks software.
- If the window prompts with QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update then make sure to head towards the Install Now button.
Solution 2: Disable (UAC) User Account Control
If you find the same error again, then move ahead with this solution and resolve the issue.
- Windows 10 users must use the Cortana search to turn towards the UAC window
- Other users can choose the Control Panel button from the Windows Start menu.
- Once done, choose User Account Control located on the upper right.
- Tap on the User Account Control settings.
- Bring the slider down to Never Notify.
- You can click the OK tab now.
Solution 3: Reset QuickBooks Updates
This solution would help in fixing other errors too like QuickBooks error 3371. You can check out the steps below to eradicate the issue.
- Initiate the procedure by accessing the QuickBooks desktop.
- Now, head towards the update QuickBooks button.
- You can find it after clicking on the help menu.
- Once done, choose the Options button.
- From there, hit the Mark all.
- Make sure that you click on Save.
- After that, head towards the Update Now button.
- Put a mark on the Reset Update checkbox.
- Also, click on Get Updates.
Solution 4: Rename QuickBooks Update After Disable Antivirus
- Hit the three tabs Ctrl + Shift + Esc to access the Windows task manager.
- Perform a right-click on the antivirus service.
- Now, from other options, choose the End task.
- After that, hit the Yes button
- Once done, try to access the QuickBooks installation folder with the help of Windows file explorer.
- Move towards the following folders downloadqb20 or downloadqb19.
- Right-click on whichever you find and choose the Rename button.
- You should add OLD as a suffix of the folder name.
Solution 5: Delete WebRoot SpyWare Sweeper
Using a webroot spyware sweeper can lead to disturbance to a great extent. So, we try to remove the software from the steps below.
- The user first needs to hit the Start tab.
- Once done, move towards the Control Panel option.
- After that, the user needs to choose the tab named Add / Remove programs.
- Now, tap the WebRoot application.
- For uninstalling it, choose the Uninstall or Remove button.
- Go through the online instructions and carry out them for the rest of the procedure.
- Consequently, restart the system.
- You must try to install QuickBooks updates now.
With these following steps, you would surely resolve the QuickBooks error 15106. We hope that the article above has resolved your doubts related to the issue. However, if there is anything that we forget to include then let us know in the comment section below. The user must try to conduct every specific solution till the error gets resolved.