While it’s important to protect yourself from the elements, you may want to be outside in freezing conditions for other reasons. If you’re a winter sports enthusiast, you may want to spend time outside when it’s cold. If so, you’ll want to make sure you’re properly equipped to stay warm. Here are five ways you can stay warm when you’re outside in the cold. There are things you can do to help reduce the damage of prolonged exposure to extreme cold conditions as well as symptoms of hypothermia (a condition caused by abnormally low body temperature).
- Wear Thick Layers – Wear multiple layers to trap your body heat. Thick socks and a jacket are great ways to reduce the heat loss from your body. When you’re outside, you want to make sure you wear socks that are thicker than your standard pair; most people wear socks that are about one thickness level above underwear. You’ll want to make sure you’re wearing a jacket that is at least one thickness level thicker than your clothes.
- Stay Hydrated – It may sound obvious, but staying adequately hydrated while you’re outside in freezing conditions is crucial. If you’re not properly hydrated, your body is going to lose heat much faster than normal. You’ll want to make sure you’re drinking plenty of water while you’re outside. If you’re carrying water, try to find a shady spot that you can hide out in while you drink.
- Wear Gloves – If you’re spending time outside when it’s cold, you’ll probably want to wear gloves to make your hands more comfortable. Make sure the gloves you choose are rated for cold weather conditions and are thick enough to trap your body heat.
- Use a Warm Sock – Most people don’t think about using a sock to make their hands more comfortable, but it’s a great way to warm up your hands if they’re getting cold. Make sure to use a sock that is rated as being warm enough to be used in the winter.
- Protect Your Head – If you spend time outside when it’s cold, you’ll want to make sure to protect your head. Remember that your head loses heat much faster than other areas of your body. You’ll want to make sure you’re wearing a hat while you’re outside.
While it’s important to protect yourself from the cold, it’s also important to remember that winter is not the best time of year to take it easy. There are many benefits associated with being outside during the winter months, including spending quality time with loved ones and exercising outside. If you don’t let the cold get you down, you can enjoy these benefits, too. So, remember to dress in layers, drink plenty of water, wear gloves to warm your hands, and protect your head with a hat when you’re outside in the winter. And don’t forget to stay warm by staying hydrated and staying in the shade.